Highway Division Updates
- Last week, the Highway Division:
- Repaired potholes on Fifth Avenue, Jackson Street, Jewett Street, Kingsley Avenue, Ryan Road, South Street, Sylvester Road and Vernon Street
- Repaired, replaced and/or installed signs on Federal Street, Pleasant Street and Riverside Drive
- Responded to snow event
- Yearly ward street sweeping is complete and will resume in Spring 2023
- To report a pothole, please submit a request via the Pothole Repair Form; the largest potholes are filled first to alleviate hazards to vehicles; as hazards arise and are identified, they will be addressed
Dryads Green Extension
- The City has contracted with Geeleher Enterprises, Inc. to perform emergency work to stabilize the slope southwest of Dryads Green Extension in order to protect a nearby sewer system
- The Contractor has removed deadwood, installed crushed stone & riprap and made limited drain pipe repairs; the work area has been seeded & mulched and additional sediment controls have been installed
- The path from Dryads Green Extension to the Mill River is closed until further notice
- The DPW will periodically inspect this area throughout the winter to confirm site stability
I-91 Bridges over Route 5, the Railroad and Hockanum Road
- MassDOT has contracted with J.F. White, Inc. to construct roadway improvements to I-91 and at Exit 23 (formerly Exit 18)
- The project will replace the I-91 bridges over Route 5, the Railroad and Hockanum Road and construct safety and signal improvements at the exit interchange
- The project is scheduled to be completed in phases by 2025
- I-91 southbound, no lane closures required this week
- I-91 northbound, right lane closure scheduled for Tuesday, January 31st and Thursday, February 2nd, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Route 5,
- No overnight closures are scheduled this week
- Shoulder closures will remain in place; no lane closures are anticipated but traffic lane shifts will occur as needed during the day from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Hockanum Road, one lane for traffic will be maintained, no detours are anticipated this week
- Questions about the project should be directed to MassDOT District 2, project #606552
South Main Street Sewer Rehabilitation & Lining
- The City has contracted with Precision Trenchless LLC for in situ lining of the sewer main and service laterals on South Main Street from Beacon Street to Nonotuck Street
- Brief interruptions to sewer service will occur during the process and notices will be handed out 24 hours in advance to inform residents of such interruptions
- See the Notice to Residents (pdf) for more detailed project information
- Work is anticipated to resume in February
- One-way, alternating traffic will be in place as needed; police/flagger details will assist with traffic control; motorists should expect delays and seek alternate routes
Projects to Resume Spring 2023
Information & Notification
An overview of all current Public Works projects can be found by going to Current Projects.
Sign up for automatic notifications via the Notify Me system on the City's website. Please sign-in (at the top of the page) and then subscribe to the "Public Works" category under News Flash (at the bottom of the page).