- Our City
- Arts, Entertainment & Events
Arts, Entertainment & Events
Northampton is renowned as an arts and entertainment destination in Western Massachusetts, named “#1 Best Small Arts Town in America” by author John Villani and one of the “Top 25 Arts Destinations” in the nation by AmericanStyle magazine. Northampton is home to internationally known musicians, artists, writers, and performers presenting their work in local theaters and galleries. There are virtually unlimited options for arts, entertainment and events in and around Northampton.
- Jan 27
- Mar 31
- May 26
- Jun 23
- Four Sundays in February- Four Sundays in February is one of the longest running community winter arts series in the country, the first Four Sundays being presented in 1993. The series traditionally takes place during the month of February at various performance venues in Northampton and is produced by the Northampton Arts Council.
- KidsBestFest - KidsBestFest is a movie festival for kids and their adults with free admission during winter school break on the big screen at the Academy of Music Theatre! KidsBestFest, a part of the Four Sundays in February winter arts series, and is presented by the Northampton Arts Council and the Academy of Music Theatre.
- Memorial Day Parade - The first parade was held in Northampton in 1868, just after the end of the Civil War, and included the decoration of the graves of deceased service members in the Park Street Cemetery in Florence. This tradition has continued every year since, regardless of weather. The parade is held every year on Memorial Day.
- Paradise City Arts Festival - Award-winning shows of contemporary craft and fine art showcase the works of some of America's most prominent craftspeople and artists. Two shows a year in Northampton - spring and fall.
- Pride Day/Parade/Celebration - Annual LGBT parade and festival, held at the beginning of May.
- Cinema Northampton - Cinema Northampton presents free outdoor movie screenings.
- Summer Concert Series - Held through July and August
- Transperformance - Transperformance is the end of summer musical bash jointly presented by the Northampton Arts Council and the PTOs of Northampton's public schools, with proceeds going to support art enrichment programs in those schools. Held every August, this event creates the opportunity for local performers to assume the persona of well-known musicians. Transperformance is a humorous musical celebration of the diversity of our population and an acknowledgment of the profound influences various artists have had on each other.
- Pulaski Day Parade - The region’s largest parade celebrating Polish heritage and commemorating General Casimir Pulaski, hero of the American Revolution and Father of the American Cavalry.
- Veterans Day Parade - Held annually on Veteran's Day starting at Lampron Park on Bridge Street and marching to Pulaski Park on Main Street.
- First Night Northampton - The greatest New Year's Eve party in the universe. The Northampton Arts Council presents the city's most popular community event, a festival of arts and entertainment that brings families and friends together in the heart of downtown from noon until after midnight. Catering to both the young and the young at heart, we welcome everyone to share our celebration.
Northampton's Public Library Events
Check out both of Northampton's public libraries for book readings, children's events, exhibits and other happenings. Each library has it's own calendar, which you can get to from the links below: