Permits, Code & Regulations
Planning & Sustainability permit applications
We all love our projects, but some are not allowed. Talk to planning staff before applying to avoid disappointment.
1. APPLY ONLINE (link below). Applications must be filed at least 30 days prior to a hearing
2. PAY YOUR FEES PAY FEES HEREto complete your application >>
3. SUBMIT PAPER COPIES:
- Collated with your On-Line Payment receipt, zoning permit/Building Department review, and all supporting materials
- Plans larger than letter size must be folded
- NO plastic bindings to Office of Planning & Sustainability, 210 Main St., Northampton, MA 01060
Visit https://northamptonma.gov/1971/Permit-Process-Guide for additional detail.
The number of required paper packets is:
- Approval Not Required survey: Mylar (rolled) and FOUR copies of both application and folded plans
- Central Business Architecture: Digital submission plus three copies entire package, Submittal Criteria
- Historic District Certificate of Appropriateness: Two copies entire package
- Historic District Certificate of Non-Applicability: One application and supporting information
- Planning Board Site Plan, Special Permits, West St. Architecture: Two copies entire package ( plans may be reduced scale: 11x17),
- Zoning Board Special Permits, Finding, Appeals: 2 copies entire package, Plus 1 Copy mailed to BRiddle, POB 175 Leeds, MA 01053.
- Zoning Board Comprehensive Permits: 3 copies entire package (2 plans may be reduced scale),
- Conservation Commission wetlands filings: Two copies entire package, including the state wetlands application . IF filing a Notice of Intent, amendment request or ANRAD, include one abutters list and an affidavit (DOC) that you notified abutters (DOC) by hand delivery, certified mail with return receipts, or certificates of mailing of your application. Request abutters list from our GIS coordinator. If your project includes a wetlands delineation, please provide the CAD file electronically.
- Demolition Delay, see Building--demolition delay is part of building permit process
4. PUBLIC HEARING SIGN
Pickup a yellow sign from Planning & Sustainability and post it on the subject property. (NOT for ANRs and Historic District non-applicability). We will email you a public hearing notice which you must print and insert in the public hearing sign. RETURN the sign to Planning & Sustainability after the hearing. Staff will place any required newspaper advertising.
5. APPLY ONLINE HERE If the property has no street number, enter 0 for street number. Press SUBMIT and PRINT BEFORE existing. Then pay on-line (see #2 above). For large projects: upload digital plans/materials or submit on storage device.
6. After Filing
- Within 21 days, staff will notify you if additional information is required
- Generally, within 21 days ANR plans will be ready for pick up
- IF your project includes work within a public way, either because you need city services or it is a condition of a permit, you MUST obtain Prevailing Wage rates and you MUST pay those wages to your employees.
- Everything you file will be on the Internet and in the public domain. Do NOT include confidential information.