About the Commission
Created by the Administrative Code & State law reference: MGL c. 40, § 8J
There shall be a Disability Commission consisting of nine members. A majority of commission members shall consist of people with disabilities; one member shall be a member of the immediate family of a person with a disability, and one member of said commission shall be an elected official. The City's Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator shall be the liaison to the commission.
Authorities and Responsibilities
The commission shall research local problems of people with disabilities; advise and assist municipal officials and employees in ensuring compliance with state and federal laws and regulations that affect people with disabilities; coordinate and/or carry out programs designed to meet the problems of people with disabilities in coordination with programs of the Massachusetts Office on Disability; review and make recommendations about policies, procedures, services, activities and facilities of departments, boards, and agencies of the City of Northampton as they affect people with disabilities; provide information, referrals, guidance and technical assistance to individuals, public agencies, businesses and organizations in all matters pertaining to disabilities, and coordinate activities of other local groups organized for similar purposes.
The Disability Commission is an advisory multiple-member body of the City.
The Disability Commission meetings are open to the public. The commission generally meets once a month on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 5:00 PM at the Office of Planning & Sustainability, 210 Main Street (Second Floor, City Hall), Northampton, MA 01060. To view upcoming and past agendas click the links below:
Agenda & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- Gene Page, Chair
- City Councilor Marianne LaBarge, Vice-Chair
- James Winston
- Emma Cornwell
- Linda L. Kakos @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Jeremy Dubs
- Rodney Kunath
- Michal C. Morton
- Marilyn E. Clare @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
ADA Anniversary Celebration Display
The photograph below is from the ADA Anniversary Display in the front lobby of the Forbes Library.
Mayor David Narkewicz presents the Northampton Disability Commission with an ADA Proclamation at the July 9th City Council Meeting. Accepting the proclamation are (l-r) Mayor Narkewicz, James Winston, Tori Eklund, Chair, and Ruth McGrath
Below are the videos from the Commission on Disability meetings.
- Disability Commission Meeting 1/19/16
- Disability Commission Meeting 11/17/2015
- Disability Commission Meeting 10/20/2015
- Disability Commission Meeting 9/15/15
- Disability Commission Meeting July 21, 2015
- Disability Commission Meeting June 16, 2015
- Disability Commission Meeting May 19, 2015
- Commission on Disability Meeting April 21, 2015
- Disability Commission Meeting 3/17/15
- Disability Commission Meeting 2/17/15
- Disability Commission Meeting December 16, 2014
- Disability Commission November 18, 2014
- Disability Commission August 6, 2014
- Disability Commission July 15, 2014
Mayor David Narkewicz presents the Northampton Disability Commission with an ADA Proclamation at the July 9th City Council Meeting. Accepting the proclamation are (l-r) Mayor Narkewicz, James Winston, Tori Eklund who is Chair, and Ruth McGrath. Click the link to view the photograph.