Group Health Insurance Information
CITY OF NORTHAMPTON ANNUAL OPEN ENROLLMENT NOTICE
GIC MEDICAL INSURANCE OPEN ENROLLMENT- April 7th to May 5th
Annual enrollment time is here, giving you the opportunity to review your benefit options and choose a new health plan if you wish. All changes will be made effective on July 1st. If you want to keep your current Group Insurance Commission (GIC) health plan, you do not need to fill out any paperwork; your coverage will continue automatically.
Current GIC Members who would like to make a change may submit the enrollment/change form electronically using the following link: bit.ly/mygiclink. If you would like to submit a paper form, please send it to the Human Resources Office. The paper forms for Retirees and Active Employees can be found below:
New Enrollees, please contact HR for an electronic form. Alternatively you may submit a paper form. If you choose to complete a paper form, please send your form interoffice to Human Resources, or mail it to Human Resources, 240 Main St., Northampton MA, 01060. Please be sure to include additional documentation if applicable (Marriage certificate for a spouse and birth certificates for eligible dependents).
The 2021-2022 Rate Sheet and the 2021-2022 Benefit Decision Guide can be found at the links below:
The City continues to pay for 80% of HMO plans and 50% of PPO plans. The amounts displayed on the rate sheet are the employee's share of the monthly premium. Be sure to read the GIC Benefit Decision Guide for annual enrollment details.
See the GIC’s website: www.mass.gov/gic for the latest annual enrollment news and answers to frequently asked questions.
Completed forms must be received by HR - on or before May 5th , 2021.
ALTUS DENTAL OPEN ENROLLMENT
Open Enrollment for dental insurance is also from April 7th to May 5th. If you want to keep your current coverage, you do not need to fill out any paperwork; Your coverage will continue automatically. For those who are new to the plan or would like to make a change, the enrollment form is below. You may mail it to Human Resources, 240 Main St., Northampton MA, 01060 OR send it interoffice.
The monthly premiums have not changed; they will remain the same for the period July 1, 2021- June 30, 2022.
· $43.70 per month - Single
· $111.09 per month - Family
This is the time to make any changes to your dental plan: add, drop, cancel or enroll.
Group Health Insurance
- New Hires - Newly hired benefited employees have up to 10 days from their date of hire to submit a completed a GIC enrollment form, along with applicable documentation, to the Human Resources Department. New employee coverage begins on the first day of the month following 60 calendar days from the first day of employment, or two calendar months, whichever comes first.
- Qualifying Status Change (Qualifying Event) - Employees who have a Qualifying Status Change can enroll in GIC health insurance, cancel coverage, and add or remove spouses and dependents, depending on the type of event . Documentation of the qualifying status change and a completed change form must be submitted to Human Resources so that it is received by the GIC within 60 days of the event. Please contact Human Resources to see if your event is considered a Qualifying Status Change.
- Open Enrollment - Employees and retirees can makes changes to their plans during the open enrollment period. Open Enrollment runs during the month of April, and changes are made effective on the following July 1st.
- City Retirees - City Retirees and Survivors who opt to cancel their health insurance coverage cannot rejoin the City's group policy at any time.
Group Health Insurance Documents
Retiree Form: Retiree GIC Enrollment/Change Form (PDF)
Employee Form: Employee GIC Enrollment/Change Form (PDF)
Monthly rates for GIC plans can be found here: GIC Rates 2021-2022 (PDF)
The GIC Decision Guide can be found here: GIC Decision Guide 2021-2022 (PDF)