American Red Cross Lifeguarding Class
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE PAGE FOR INFORMATION ON
- Course Description
- Pre-course requirements
- Course Dates & Times
- Fees & Class Registration Link
- Facility Locations
American Red Cross Blended Learning Lifeguarding Course Description
Red Cross Lifeguarding course trains individuals to become a certified Red Cross Lifeguard and how to carry them out in a professional manner. You will also learn how to use surveillance techniques, rescue equipment, and how to manage a suspected spinal injury victim. Class materials: Pocket mask, Whistle, Lanyard, and hip pack are included. Participants will be required to download the free participants manual. Participants MUST attend all classes and MUST successfully pass written and skills test to receive certification. This is a blended learning class. There is approximately ten hours of online learning for you to do on your own, followed by the in class sessions.
Upon successful completion of this course (including written and rescue skills testing), you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard/CPRO/AED/First Aid certificate which is valid for 2 years.
Red Cross Waterfront Module (Late Spring) is designed to train pool lifeguards in working non-surf beaches. You will be trained in using mask & fins, searching shallow & deep water areas, and using a rescue board. Training will occur in both pool and waterfront. Upon successful completion of this course (including written and rescue skills testing), you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard Waterfront Training certificate which is only valid with a current Red Cross Lifeguard Certificate. Participants should provide their own mask and fins if they plan to work at a waterfront.
Lifeguard Only Pre-course Requirements:
Anyone taking any lifeguarding course MUST successfully complete all of the pre-course requirements.
- Must be 15 years old by the completion of course. Proof of age may be requested.
- Swim 300 yards (12 lengths of pool) continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing using front crawl or breaststroke. Goggles allowed.
- Tread water for two (2) minutes using only your legs.
- Complete within 1 minute, 40 seconds: From shallow end of pool, swim 20 yards, surface dive to retrieve a 10-pound object from the deep end of pool, return to starting point holding brick with both hands while keeping face out of water, and exit water without using ladder or steps. Goggles NOT allowed. YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES UNDERWATER. (contact lens wearers, please be aware of this)
- Click here to view a pre-course requirement video
Waterfront Pre-course Requirements:
Same as the Lifeguard pre-course requirements with the following additions
- Swim an additional 250 yards (10 lengths) for a total length of 550 yards (22 lengths).
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three submerged objects placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards. Goggles NOT allowed.
CLICK HERE FOR WATERFRONT ONLY CLASS INFORMATION
Participants MUST ATTEND ALL SESSIONS and MUST successfully pass written and skills test to receive certification.
Lifeguard Pre-course Swimming Assessment
Tuesday May 30: 6:30 - 7:30 pm
Monday - Thursday 5-7:45 pm June 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13
Saturday & Sunday 12-3 pm June 11, 17, 18 (waterfront)
Empty headingFees (includes $25 non-refundable pre-course swimming test and all other materials)
Lifeguard with Waterfront: Northampton Residents $380 Non-Residents $400
Lifeguard Only: Northampton Residents $335 Non-Residents $355
Pre-registration required, as space is limited
Click here to download flyer (pdf)
Click Here to Register for an Aquatics Class
Participants who pass the Pre-Course Swimming assessment will receive a class syllabus, with access to the online course.
POOL: Aquatic & Family Center at JFK Middle School, 100 Bridge Road, Florence, MA 01062
(Enter through back of the building, rear glass doors across from the tennis courts)
BEACH WATERFRONT: David B. Musante Beach: 85 Reservoir Road, Leeds, MA 01053
Call the Parks & Recreation Office, 413-587-1040, if you have any questions