What You Can Do
Join Northampton's clean energy leaders at home, with the way you travel, and how you run commercial buildings.
- Identify how you can reduce energy use and costs in your home and receive money to do so by contacting a local home efficiency contractor or a free Mass Save assessor.
- Buy high efficiency light bulbs online. Go to the ENERGY STAR lighting online catalog.
- Buy reduced cost high efficiency light bulbs in local stores by using the Light Bulb Finder App
- Use EnergyStar appliances
- Receive rebates for buying EnergyStar appliances, electronics and other electronic fixtures. Go to the EnergyStar rebates page.
- Replacing an old refrigerator with an energy efficient one can significantly reduce your monthly energy bill. Use the Refrigerator Retirement Calculator to find out if it is worth it to replace your old refrigerator.
- Install a renewable energy system on your home. Find out about incentives from the Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency and/or explore the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center's Programs.
- Buy GreenUp renewable energy
Northampton is a biking and walking friendly community with increasingly accessible pathways.
- Carpool with RideBuzz (413-253-0681) or ZipRide
- Drive a high efficiency vehicle. Find one at FuelEconomy.gov
- Improve your efficiency with better gas mileage tips
- Take the bus
- Travel by bicycle
- Contact the Center for EcoTechnology (CET) and ask for assistance in planning and implementing profitable energy saving building upgrades
- Download the EPA Building Upgrade Manual
- Learn more from the U.S. Green Building Council