The CDC has approved a second booster for certain individuals.
Appointments are now available at the Elks Lodge in Florence, Thornes Marketplace downtown, and several other local and regional locations.
We recommend making an appointment.
Walk-ins are accommodated however individuals who have appointments will be taken ahead of walk-ins.
If you live in a Northampton Housing Authority complex, check your community room schedule for upcoming clinics.
What do you need to know or bring?
Who can get the second booster dose?
All booster information is summarized here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html
The second booster will be available for "certain immunocompromised individuals and people over the age of 50 who received an initial booster dose at least 4 months ago to be eligible for another mRNA booster to increase their protection against severe disease from COVID-19. Separately and in addition, based on newly published data, adults who received a primary vaccine and booster dose of Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 vaccine at least 4 months ago may now receive a second booster dose using an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine." Full CDC press release here: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2022/s0328-covid-19-boosters.html
The following individuals are now eligible for a second COVID-19 vaccine booster of an mRNA (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna) vaccine:
- Anyone ages 50 years and older may choose to receive a second booster dose of an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna) at least four months after their first booster dose.
- Anyone ages 18–49 years who received the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine as both their primary series dose and initial booster dose may receive a second booster dose of an mRNA vaccine at least 4 months after their first booster dose.
- Anyone ages 12 and older who are moderately or severely immunocompromised may choose to receive a second booster dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna) at least four months after their first booster dose.
Second Booster Update for Moderately to Severely Immunocompromised Individuals
|Age of moderate to severely immunocompromised person||Most recent dose||What you can receive now|
|Ages 12-18 years ||who received Pfizer-BioNTech first booster (fourth dose) at least three months ago ||are eligible for a second booster dose (fifth dose) of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID vaccine|
|Ages 18 years and older ||who received their Moderna or Pfizer first booster dose (fourth dose) at least three months ago||are eligible for a second booster dose (fifth dose) of Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID vaccine|
|Ages 18 years and older ||who received a first booster dose (second dose of any COVID vaccine) following a first dose of Janssen at least two months ago||are eligible for a second booster dose (third dose) of Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID vaccine |
Where are the Northampton Health Department's vaccine clinics?
- In May there will be regular appointments at the Elks Lodge and Thornes Marketplace and other mobile locations.
- We recommend making an appointment. Individuals who have an appointment will be taken ahead of walk-ins.
- Other mobile and regional clinics will be available around Hampshire County through collaboration with Local Boards of Health and other community partners.
- Home visits are available for our homebound neighbors in Hampshire County. Call 413-587-1216 for more information or click the yellow button a little farther down.
When registering a child/minor for an appointment be sure to enter the child's date of birth for the actual appointment. The guardian's name and date of birth only goes on the legal consent screen.
HOME VISITS AVAILABLE!
COVID vaccine boosters and first/second/third doses for ages 5+
*see above for information on the "second boosters"
Click the bright yellow "home visit" button below to schedule a home visit or call 413-587-1216
A nurse will call you within about a week to schedule your visit.
Questions about home visits? Call 413-587-1216 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Are second boosters available?
- Are boosters available for children ages 12-15?
- Where can I get a COVID vaccine?
- What is the difference between a “booster” dose and a third dose?
- Who is eligible for a “booster” shot?
- Is the Health Department offering “booster” doses?
- What does “moderate to severe immunocompromise'' mean?
- I have a moderate or severe immunocompromise, how do I find a third dose of vaccine?
- Does the Health Department have Pfizer, Moderna and J&J Vaccine?
- I lost my vaccine card or need vaccine record information.
Third doses for people with immunocompromise
Staff and volunteer training for vaccine clinics
Trust the Facts. Get the Vax
Which vaccines do you have... and where?
- The Northampton Health Department offers Pfizer vaccine, Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) vaccine, and Moderna vaccine.
- Indoor clinics require appointment to maintain social distancing. These locations are City Council Chambers at the Municipal Building and the Elks Lodge in Florence as well as certain mobile clinic. (see schedule below)
- Vaccine appointments and walk-in hours are open to all Massachusetts residents who are eligible to receive the vaccine.
- Clinic locations We are not administering the vaccine at the Northampton Senior Center.
- Elks Lodge at 17 Spring Street Northampton (Florence) MA 01062
- Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, by appointment
- Large parking lot, many handicap accessible parking spaces.
- PVTA Bus Route R44 nearby.
- Municipal Building - City Council Chambers 3rd floor at 212 Main Street Northampton, MA 01060
- Tuesdays, by appointment in December (January schedule to be determined)
- Building is directly behind City Hall, same level as City Hall parking lot.
- Handicap accessible spaces right outside clinic in City Hall parking lot, other parking downtown area (Parking garage at 85 Hampton Avenue recommended 0.2 mile walk and first hour of parking free)
- PVTA Academy of Music bus stop close by serving multiple routes
- Elks Lodge at 17 Spring Street Northampton (Florence) MA 01062
- Mobile clinics
- Dates and times vary
- Various community locations
- Planned in collaboration with Local Boards of Health, School Districts, Housing Complexes, Councils on Aging, etc.
- Appointment only, click on the link below or blue button above to schedule an appointment at an available clinic
If you have any difficulty finding a dose of COVID vaccine or making an appointment after looking at this page, please call the vaccine line at 413-587-1219 or send email here.
CLICK HERE for currently available appointments.
What to expect at the clinic?
Here is a nice CDC video about what to expect when you get the COVID vaccine.
Vaccine information for people with immunocompromise seeking third dose
- Third doses of mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) are available for people who have received two doses of an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) with the second dose at least 28 days ago.
- Individuals meeting the criteria for a third dose at our site have the conditions or treatments including but not limited to:
- Active treatment for solid tumor and hematologic malignancies
- Receipt of solid organ transplant and taking immunosuppressive therapy
- Receipt of CAR-T-cell or hematopoietic stem cell transplant (within 2 years of transplantation or taking immunosuppression therapy)
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (e.g. DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids (i.e. equal to or greater than 20mg or equivalent per day), alkylating agents, antimetabolites, transplant-related immunosuppressive drugs, cancer chemotherapeutic agents classified as severely immunosuppressive, tumor-necrosis (TNF) factor blockers, and other biologic agents that are immunosuppressive or immunomodulatory.
Past Pop-Up and Mobile Clinics
If you missed us at one of these pop up clinics and still need vaccine please see upcoming clinics (above) or call and leave a message at 413-587-1219. Future dates and locations are based on need and requests.
- Northampton High School
- Pulaski Park
- Gateway Regional School
- Hampshire Regional High School
- Cummington Fair
- 3 County Fair
- Northampton Survival Center, Northampton
- Stanton Hall, Huntington
- Hampshire Heights - Northampton Housing Authority, Northampton
- Florence Heights - Northampton Housing Authority, Northampton
- CocaCola of North America, Northampton
- Nueva Esperanza, Holyoke
- Chesterfield General Store
- Big E's Supermarket, Easthampton
- Easthampton Community Center, Easthampton
- Arts Council Transperformance, Look Park, Northampton
The vaccine information phone line is 413-587-1219.
Leave a message and someone from the Northampton Health Department will call you back shortly.
Notes about additional doses
- You may make an appointment with us for your second or booster dose even if you did not receive your first dose through the Health Dept. (See availability above in General Information)
- If you received your dose at at pop-up clinic we will typically return to that same location for your second dose. If you are unsure or have questions please call 413-587-1219 or email email@example.com
Scroll down for more!
- Press releases
- Vaccination dashboard
- Staff/volunteer trainings
- Trust the Facts get the Vax
- Photos from our clinics https://home.color.com/vaccine/register/northampton
- Northampton Approved as Regional COVID-19 Vaccinate Site - February 23, 2021 (PDF)
- Northampton and Amherst Health Departments Pause Use of Janssen Johnson and Johnson Vaccine - April, 13, 2021 (PDF)
COVID-19 Vaccination Dashboard
Vaccine Dashboard Archive
Staff and Volunteer Training
- Resources for staff and volunteers at Northampton Health Department vaccine clinics.
Other Vaccine Locations
- Eastfield Mall, Springfield - Individuals aged 75+ are able to schedule vaccines at this location using the Curative Platform.
- UMass Amherst - All eligible individuals must schedule an appointment.
- Map of COVID-19 vaccine locations with contact details and sign-up information.