Public Health Opportunities
PUBLIC HEALTH CAREER GUIDE AND OPPORTUNITIES
Education in Public Health: https://www.publichealth.org/o
Careers in Public Health: https://www.publichealth.org/c
The Northampton Health Department currently has the following position available.
- Performs sanitary inspections to ascertain compliance with applicable laws and regulations; investigates nuisances, sources of filth, and causes of disease in order to abate violations and correct unsanitary conditions.
- Reviews applications for food service (designs, certificates, etc.), septic system plan designs, and applications for recreational camps for compliance.
- Consults with license and permit applicants and provides guidance on meeting regulatory requirements
- Performs inspections of eating and drinking establishments to ascertain compliance with laws and regulations.
- Enforces Title V; reviews designs, witnesses soil tests and percolation tests to determine adequacy of sites for installation of private sewage disposal systems including new, or replacement systems; maintains associated records, files and reports
- Performs inspections of swimming pools, public bathing areas and recreational camps to ascertain compliance with laws and regulations.
- Investigates violations of, and enforces the provisions of, Chapter II of the State Housing Code: Minimum Standards of Fitness for Human Habitation. Performs inspections to eliminate vermin and rodents, and to determine lead paint levels, asbestos violations, hazardous spills, obnoxious odors, etc.; interprets and enforces regulations, prepares reports, and performs related work.
- Performs community outreach and educates the public on food safety practices and other public health issues.
- For all inspections performed, maintains appropriate records, forms, supplies and prepares required reports, field notes and advisory letters as needed.
- Performs similar or related work as required.
Essential position functions require ability to review documents for analytical purposes, ability to drive a car, ability to adjust focus, and ability to view objects using close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.