2022 Household Hazardous Waste Collection
The City's annual household hazardous waste (HHW) collection event is scheduled for Saturday, July 16, 2022. Advance registration by Friday, July 8, 2022 is required to participate. Please review the information below carefully before completing the registration form. You will receive a copy of your registration responses as confirmation that we have received your request and we will contact you with further details about the event by Wednesday, July 13, 2022.
Helpful tip: Be sure to select "Submit" after you have completed the form.
Northampton's Annual HHW Collection
The City of Northampton Department of Public Works organizes an annual collection event, which is typically held on the third Saturday in May, for many types of household hazardous waste (pdf). Residents of Florence, Leeds and Northampton may bring HHW from their homes to this event. Select Northampton small businesses may also participate with prior arrangement (see below). Preregistration is required for all participants and space is limited.
Important details to review before registering for the event:
- Water-based paint (e.g. latex paint) is not accepted at this event. Water-based paint disposal information (pdf)
- Year-round, City-sponsored collection programs exist for needles and lancets and unwanted medication. Sharps and medication are not collected at this event
- The City of Northampton will cover the disposal cost of up to 25 gallons or pounds of material for pre-registered City households. Residential participants will be required to pay the disposal fee for any material in excess of that amount. The fee is quantity-based, but in most cases it will be between $20-$50. Cost estimation is not as simple as weighing the material. If you have a large quantity of material and would like a better understanding of your cost sharing portion, please send us an email
- Some non-residents may participate via a reciprocal municipal agreement. Please email us for details
- Some Northampton small businesses may participate via a pre-approved, cost-sharing agreement. Please email us for details
- Do you own a transfer station permit? A small number of hazardous items are collected at one of our two City transfer stations on a year-round basis. So that we may accommodate as many residents as possible at this special collection, we ask that residents with valid transfer station permits bring those items to the appropriate transfer station instead of this event. Transfer station permit holders may drop off antifreeze, compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs, unmixed automotive oil and gasoline, and automotive, rechargeable, NiCad and button batteries at the Locust Street transfer station anytime during normal operating hours (pdf). Larger, tube-based fluorescent bulbs are accepted at the Glendale Road Transfer Station. Some fees (pdf) may apply. Please call 413-587-1570 with transfer station-related related questions.
Register to participate in the July 16, 2022 event by completing the 2022 HHW Registration form.
Other HHW Disposal Alternatives
Two alternative options exist for those unable to attend (or wait for) the City’s next annual hazardous household waste collection.
1) Participate in a neighboring community’s HHW event
Northampton residents willing to pay the full disposal cost of their material may participate in collection events held in specific neighboring communities (pdf). To register or learn more about the participation cost, please email or call 413-587-1570.
2) Bring your material to a commercial HHW collection site
Northeast Disposal Technologies (NEDT) operates a year-round, drop-off, HHW collection facility in Westfield, MA. For an additional fee, NEDT offers a pick-up service for many forms of hazardous waste.