- Public Works
- Solid Waste
- Hazardous Waste
2023 Household Hazardous Waste Collection
The City's annual household hazardous waste (HHW) collection event is scheduled for Saturday, September 9, 2023. Registration for this event will open in early August and close at least one week prior to the event. Walk-in participation is not permitted. Please scroll down for alternate disposal options.
Northampton's Annual HHW Collection
The City of Northampton Department of Public Works organizes an annual collection event, which is typically held on the third Saturday in May, for many types of household hazardous waste (pdf). Residents of Florence, Leeds and Northampton may bring HHW from their homes to this event. Select Northampton small businesses may also participate with prior arrangement (see below). Preregistration is required for all participants and space is limited.
- Water-based paint (e.g. latex paint) is not accepted at most municipal hazardous waste collections. Please see water-based paint disposal information (pdf) for disposal instructions.
- Year-round, City-sponsored collection programs exist for needles and lancets and unwanted medication
- A small number of household hazardous waste items are collected at the City's transfer stations (pdf) on a year-round basis. Some fees (pdf) may apply. Please call 413-587-1570 with transfer station-related related questions.
- Antifreeze, compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs, unmixed automotive oil and gasoline, and automotive, rechargeable, NiCad and button batteries are collected at the Locust Street transfer station
- Larger, tube-based fluorescent bulbs are accepted at the Glendale Road transfer station.
Other HHW Disposal Alternatives
Two alternative options exist for those unable to attend (or wait for) the City’s next annual hazardous household waste collection.
1) Participate in a neighboring community’s HHW event
Northampton residents willing to pay the full disposal cost of their material may participate in collection events held in specific neighboring communities (pdf). To register or learn more about the participation cost, please email or call 413-587-1570.
2) Bring your material to a commercial HHW collection site
Northeast Disposal Technologies (NEDT) operates a year-round, drop-off, HHW collection facility in Westfield, MA. For an additional fee, NEDT offers a pick-up service for many forms of hazardous waste.