- Public Works
- Solid Waste
- Reuse & ReCenter Swap Shop
Reuse & ReCenter Swap Shop
The ReCenter season runs from April through October. It is open on the first and third Saturdays, 8:00 a.m to 11:00 a.m.
ReCenter permits for 2023 are available free-of-charge to both City and non-City residents. Please complete the 2023 ReCenter Permit Request Form to have a permit mailed to you. Alternatively, you can fill out and submit a 2023 ReCenter Permit Request (pdf). Please allow up to two weeks for processing & delivery.
Please note that the ReCenter permit ONLY grants access to the ReCenter Swap Shop. Other Transfer Station services are only available to City residents with a full Transfer Station permit. Residents can purchase a Transfer Station permit via the Transfer Station's Online Payment Center.
The ReCenter Swap Shop (pdf), located at the Glendale Road Transfer Station, allows individuals and organizations to donate durable, useful homegoods and furnishings for reuse. Donated items are available to ReCenter members free of charge. Membership is automatic for city transfer station permit holders. For those who do not want access to other transfer station services, or those who live outside of Northampton, an annual ReCenter member permit is available. Note: ReCenter permits will be free for the 2023 season (see above).
The ReCenter is open seasonally (April to October) on the first and third Saturday mornings of each month from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Our zero-waste and zero-cost pledge requires that we accept material selectively. Our goal is to avoid trash generation and its financial drain on city resources. When high demand items are quickly adopted, or unadopted items are recyclable (e.g. bicycles and books), ReCenter exchanges are cost and waste-free. If an item is not recyclable or is not in demand, we can accept the item only if the donor pre-pays the normal disposal fee. This allows us to accept more risky items without the City of Northampton being saddled with landfill tonnage costs. Here is a list of the items (pdf) that the center can and cannot accept.
A small army of volunteers passionate about reuse and waste reduction staff the ReCenter. It is managed by Public Works and the ReUse Committee. New volunteers are always welcome. Inquiries about volunteer opportunities should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-587-1570.
Like us on Facebook or join our email notification list to keep up-to-date on news and events.
Other Local Reuse and Repair Opportunities
There are a number of local and state directories to help you find ways to make sure durable household items are reused or recycled.
- Who Takes What is an online directory that provides reuse and recycling options within the Pioneer Valley.
- Each year the Daily Hampshire Gazette publishes a Reduce Reuse Recycle guide, which provides an exhaustive "What do I do with" listing. The information in this year's Guide is current through April 2023.
- The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection offers Donation & Reuse options and a Beyond the Bin Recycling Directory (both of which tend to be Eastern Mass oriented).
- Greater Northampton is home to many organizations promoting reuse and repair. We have businesses specializing in repair, vintage, consignment and charity clothing, furniture and decorative item stores, used book, CD and DVD stores, antique stores, and stores selling furniture and décor fashioned out of repurposed items. Search the Yellow Pages under repair, used clothing, used furniture, used records and antique stores to learn more.
Important Information for Trained ReCenter Volunteers
Please add yourself to (or remove yourself) from the volunteer schedule via this link. If you have difficulty of any kind, please contact email@example.com or 413-587-1570. Please note that you do not need to "join" SignUp Genius in order to use this on-line sign up form, but they will ask you to join anyway. The benefit of joining is that the website will automatically enter your contact information when you sign up for a shift, saving you typing effort. The downside is that you will need to create a password and will receive periodic solicitations from Sign Up Genius.