Veteran Property Tax Work Off Program
The Veteran Tax Work Off Program is open to a veteran, as defined by MGL Ch. 4 § 7 clause 43, who owns property in and pays real estate taxes to the City of Northampton. The program participant’s name must appear on the property deed. The program year runs from January 1 to October 31. A $1,500 property tax credit minus the required withholdings will be applied to the participant’s real estate tax bill in the following fiscal year, not current year’s property tax bill. Applications for additional years will be available in November of each year.
Participants should work the required 100.00 hours of service. Hours worked may not be shared with another family member. Each individual must fulfill the total hours of service obligation. However, the City of Northampton, based on need, may place the participant in more than one (1) job in order to fulfill the total hours. Individuals will be credited for any hours worked even if the 100.00 hours are not fulfilled.
*To receive the maximum $1,500 tax credit participants must work 100.00 hours. Working less than 100.00 hours results in a pro-rated tax credit based on the number of hours worked.
- Be a veteran of the United States armed forces (a form DD214 is required).
- Own and occupy the property as his/her principal residence.
- Possess and identify employable skills.
- Complete the application and provide all necessary verification.
- Complete a CORI check and supply references (necessary for some placements).
- Interview with Veterans’ Services Agent.
- Only one (1) tax credit per family per calendar year is allowed.
- All hours of work must be completed by the participant and at the job site. No other person can work on the veteran’s behalf to fulfill hours.
- Any person found guilty of having committed a criminal act involving the city or any of its officers or employees shall be ineligible to participate in the program.
- $15.00 per hour (MGL Ch. 59 §5N)
- Participants will receive abatement for up to 100.00 hours of service. Any hours worked beyond the 100.00 hours cannot be accumulated for the Tax Work Off Program.
- Maximum amount of abatement is $1,500 per person per fiscal year.
- Money earned through the Tax Work Off Program is reportable income for federal taxes only. Participants will receive a W-2 form for the amount of money earned through the program.
Job Placement for a Tax Credit Position:
- Individuals will be chosen based on the best match between the applicants qualifications and the skill requirements of each job;
- Applicants will be interviewed by the department supervisor of the position for which they have been placed;
- There will be a two (2) week probationary period to assess the appropriateness of the placement;
- Program participants may not work for relatives who are City employees;
- Eligible senior citizens who are veterans can elect to participate in either the veterans’ or Senior citizens’ tax work-off plans;
- Primary consideration will be given to first time applicants. Individuals previously chosen for the program may make re-application in subsequent years. No applicant is guaranteed a position. A lottery system may be used if there are more applicants than available positions;
- Time sheets will be filled out by the department supervisor on a weekly or monthly basis and submitted to the Veterans Services Director. A final accounting of time worked will be submitted to the Assessor.
The policy of the City of Northampton is to achieve equal opportunity in employment and selection by the employment of individuals who meet the physical and mental requirements of the job to which they have been assigned, with reasonable accommodation, and who have the education, training and experience, established and necessary for the performance of the job, without regard to race, creed, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or other factors unrelated to the ability to perform the requirements of the job.
Forms are also available in person at:
Veterans Services Office
240 Main Street
Northampton, MA 01060
Northampton Senior Center
67 Conz Street
Northampton, MA 01060
210 Main Street, First Floor
Northampton, MA 01060
Submit completed application forms to the Veterans’ Services Office.