Make Your Own Maps
Google Earth: Files to work with Google Earth
- Install the free Google Earth browser.
- Then click on the file(s) you want (below).
- Open with Google Earth if your browser allows you to.
- If not, save file on your computer. Use File Open in Google Earth.
- Turn layer on in Google Earth under My Places.
- Google Earth will not work on some older computers.
Click here for a video showing how to add and open Northampton data in Google Earth
Please note that these files are not to be used for boundary determination, conveyances, or accurate measurement purposes.
“Individuals requiring an authoritative property boundary or other location must retain the services of a professional land surveyor”.
- Assessor Lots Google Earth files (16 August 2016)
- Condominium Google Earth files (16 August 2016)
- Zoning district Google Earth files (16 August 2016)
- Zoning overlay Google Earth files (16 August 2016)
- Rivers and lakes Google Earth files
- Stream Google Earth files
- FEMA 100 Year floodplain Google Earth files
- Multi-use trails Google Earth files (16 August 2016)
- Open space Google Earth files (16 August 2016)
- City Boundary Line Google Earth files (MassGIS based on Harbor and Lands Commission Town Boundary Atlas)
- Connecticut River Google Earth files
- Certified Vernal Pools Google Earth files (MassGIS January 10, 2010 extract)
- Ponds Google Earth files
- Spot Elevations Google Earth files
- Topographic Lines Google Earth files
- Wetlands Google Earth files (Update pending)
- Zipcodes Google Earth files
- Fire Hydrants Google Earth files (GIS data maintained by DPW)
- Road centerline Google Earth files (Please inquire at the Northampton DPW)
- Northampton in 1831
- Retail Food Permits (April 5, 2010)
- Hiking Trails Google Earth file. Please note that some trails included may be on private property
- Topographic Contours Google Earth file. Please note the hand-digitized line work may not close
- 2010 Census Tracts Google Earth files
- 2010 Census Block Groups Google Earth files
- Wards and Precincts Google Earth files Wards and Precincts of Northampton. Valid: January 1, 2012 - December 31, 2021. Source: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File
- New Market Tax Credit Eligibility by 2010 Census Tract, or view the Community Development Finncial Institution Fund website for more information
3D Buildings for Northampton
Open Google Earth and click on 3-D building models in the Layers sidebar on the left of the screen. Currently there are more than 200 buildings along King Street and in downtown Northampton in the city's model collection.
New models are being added regularly. If you would like to contribute to the model building process, please send email to the Planning and Sustainability Department. Be sure to include "SketchUp 3d models" in the subject line.