Planning & Sustainability
Identify and implement the community vision for sustainability, economic prosperity, a healthy community, and sustainable transportation:
- Comprehensive and strategic planning to guide growth, conserve natural and built environment, and provide for multi-modal transportation, open space, and recreation.
- Sense of place, including historic preservation, brownfield redevelopment, sustainable transportation, environmental improvements, and business growth.
- Geographic, demographic and information systems to support planning needs.
Planning & Sustainability News:Sign up for the latest planning news. For for board agendas, click on Notify Me button (bottom left).
LINK to Proposed Zoning Amendments -Public Hearing 8-24 & 9-11
Video made by our two visiting Fellows from Southeast Asia
Northampton the nation's first 5-STAR Community at the top tier of sustainability.
"This small city offers more restaurants and shops, certainly more galleries, theaters and performance venues than most urban centers dozens of times its size. Add two rivers, mountain views, landscaped parks and meadow walks, and you begin to see why people call it paradise." -The Boston Globe
"Northampton combines the cultural breadth of a major metropolis ... with the low-key sensibility of a small borough." -National Geographic Adventure
"liberal enclave with rural roots" Top Retirement Hot Spot -AARP Magazine and CNBC (2010)
- Planning Awards (2001 to 2006)
- Pioneer Valley Planning Commission
- Historic Northampton
- Greater Northampton Chamber of Commerce
- American Planning Association
- American Planning Assoc.- Massachusetts
- Citizen Planning Training Collaborative
- Mass. Environmental Policy Act Office
- Smart Growth Online-- Massachusetts