Requirements (M.G.L. Ch. 140, s 137, 139)
- All dogs six months old or over are required to be licensed by April 1.
- A valid current rabies certificate must be provided to receive a license. If applicable, proof of spaying or neutering must also be provided in writing from a veterinarian.
Fees for the 2020 license year are as follows:
The fees for licensing dogs are:
- Neutered or Spayed Dog - $10
- Unneutered or Unspayed Dog - $20
- Fee will be waived for dog owners aged 70 and over; owner must provide proof of age.
- *****Due to the COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS the deadline to license your pet without a late fee has been extended to August 15, 2020. Please note that previously licensed dogs whose license is not renewed prior to August 15th will be subject to a late fee, in addition to the license fee. The late fee is $20 per dog beginning August 16, 2020.
Purchase By Mail, In Person, or Use the On-line Payment System
A dog license may be purchased by mail. Send the appropriate license fee, valid current rabies, and proof of spay / neuter if applicable) certificate to:
City Clerk’s Office
210 Main St.
Northampton, MA 01060-3148
If this license is not a renewal, please send in addition to the above the owner’s name, address, and telephone number; the dog’s name, age, breed, color(s), gender. Please also enclose proof of spaying or neutering.
On-Line Payment Center
Dog licenses can be renewed on-line; however, please note that bank service fees apply for using this method. Click on the link below. Be sure we have all appropriate information about your pet before you pay! Send an e-mail with the confirmation number of your payment in the subject line and information about your pet (including rabies certificate) to:
In Person renewal not available until further notice
Dog licenses may be picked up in the City Clerk’s office Mon - Fri 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. Payment options for in-office processing is cash, credit card or check. Valid current rabies, and proof of spay or neutering, if appropriate, is required to purchase a license.
Change in Ownership
If you no longer own your dog, or have any questions, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 413-587-1224. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.