- All dogs six months old or over are required to be licensed by April 1.
- A valid current rabies certificate must be provided to receive a license. If applicable, proof of spaying or neutering must also be provided in writing from a veterinarian.
Fees Licenses for the 2019 license year are as follows:
The fees for licensing dogs are:
- Neutered or Spayed Dog - $10
- Unneutered or Unspayed Dog - $20
- Fee will be waived for dog owners aged 70 and over; owner must provide proof of age.
- Please note that previously licensed dogs whose license is not renewed prior to May 31st will be subject to a late fee, in addition to the license fee. The late fee is $20 per dog beginning June 1.
Purchase By Mail, In Person, or Use the On-line Payment System
A dog license may be purchased by mail. Send the appropriate license fee, valid current rabies, and proof of spay / neuter if applicable) certificate to:
City Clerk’s Office
210 Main St.
Northampton, MA 01060-3148
If this license is not a renewal, please send in addition to the above the owner’s name, address, and telephone number; the dog’s name, age, breed, color(s), gender. Please also enclose proof of spaying or neutering.
Dog licenses may be picked up in the City Clerk’s office Mon - Fri 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. Payment options for in-office processing is cash, credit card or check. Valid current rabies, and proof of spay or neutering, if appropriate, is required to purchase a license.
On-Line Payment Center
Change in Ownership
If you no longer own your dog, or have any questions, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 413-587-1224. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.