2020 Census & the Complete Count Committee
Mandated by Article 1, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution, the Census is conducted every 10 years, to take a count of America's population. The 2020 Census goal is to count everyone once, only once, and in the right place.
Why does the Census matter to our city?
- An accurate Census ensures fair representation at all levels of government (i.e., how many representatives each state gets in Congress.)
- The Census directly impacts the funding Northampton will receive over the next decade.
- The Census provides the most reliable and complete data for research, decision making and planning for both the public and private sectors.
- What is the Census?
- Why does the Census matter?
- How do I respond to the Census?
- Is it safe to provide my information to the Census Bureau over the internet?
- What if I am not a U.S. citizen, does the Census still count me?
- Will there be a question about citizenship on the 2020 Census survey?
- What does it mean if the citizenship question is added to the Census?
Complete Count Committee
Complete Count Committees (CCC) are key to creating awareness in communities all across the country. Due to Northampton’s population’s characteristics, the city is at a moderate risk for under-count in the upcoming Census. The CCC will:
- Utilize local knowledge, influence, and resources to educate communities and promote the Census through locally-based, targeted, outreach efforts.
- Provide a vehicle for coordinating and nurturing cooperative efforts between tribal, state, and local governments; communities; and the Census Bureau.
- Help the Census Bureau get a complete count in 2020 through partnerships with local governments and community organizations.
- Census Jobs
- Census 101 - What you need to know (PDF)
- How the 2020 Census will invite everyone to respond (PDF)
- Cómo el Censo del 2020 invitará a todos a responder (PDF)
- The 2020 Census and Confidentiality (PDF)
- El Censo del 2020 y la Confidencialidad (PDF)
- Fact Sheet for Schools (PDF)
- Fact Sheet for Organizations (PDF)
- Fact Sheet for Businesses (PDF)
- Sample Copy of the 2020 Census Questionnaire (PDF) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
|Early Spring 2020||Advertising & messaging campaigns begins|
|March 12 - March 20||Households will receive an invitation to respond to the Census|
|March 16 - March 24||A reminder letter will be sent to households that have not responded|
|If you haven't responded:|
|March 26 - April 3||A reminder postcard is sent to households that have not responded|
|April 8 - April 16||A reminder letter and paper questionnaire is sent to households that have not responded|
|April 20 - April 27||A final reminder postcard is sent before in-person follow ups begin|
|Summer 2020||Census wraps|