Medical & Adult Use Marijuana in Northampton
In 2012, residents of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts voted to legalize the cultivation and sale of medical marijuana by a 63.3%- 36.7% margin. The residents of Northampton voted in favor of legalization by 75%.
In 2016, residents of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts voted to legalize non-medical, adult use marijuana by a margin of 53.7%-46.3%. The residents of Northampton voted in favor of legalization by 67%.
Those interested in locating and licensing a medical or adult use marijuana facility in the City of Northampton are encouraged to contact the Office of Mayor David Narkewicz to schedule an introductory meeting to discuss the proposed business in advance of conducting a neighborhood outreach meeting. You can submit an online scheduling request here.
Interested marijuana facility operators are also encouraged to review our zoning ordinances, which were updated in early 2018 to include both medical and adult use marijuana cultivation, processing, manufacturing, testing, and sales. If you have any questions about our zoning or building regulations, please contact either our Office of Planning and Sustainability at (413) 587-1262 or the Building Department at (413) 587-1240.
Negotiated Host Community Agreements
- Bodelles Edibles Host Community Agreement - June 2018 (PDF)
- Green Biz Retail Establishment Host Community Agreement - May 2018 (PDF)
- Hampshire Hemp Retail Marijuana Host Community Agreement - June 2018 (PDF)
- NETA Retail Marijuana Host Community Agreement - March 2018 (PDF)
- Pioneer Valley Extracts Retail Marijuana Host Community Agreement - June 2018 (PDF)
- Stoned Puppy, LLC Retail Marijuana Host Community Agreement - July 2018 (PDF)
How Northampton Zoning works -
Chapter 350 of the City of Northampton Code of Ordinances covers Zoning. For specific sections relating to marijuana see the following links:
- Definitions in 350 2.0 alpha order "M"
- Prohibition on conversion of pre-existing non conforming commercial use in residential district in 350-9.3
- Table of Uses for retail sales: EB, GB, CB, HB
- Table of Uses for production: OI, GI
- Outdoor Cultivation only in residential district tables: WSP, SR, RR, SC
- Additional Water Supply Protection District (WSP) regulations
- Additional Special Conservancy District (SC) regulations