2020 Household Hazardous Waste Collection
Registration has closed for the August 15, 2020 event. Please see "Other Alternatives" below for alternative disposal options.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection
The City of Northampton Department of Public Works organizes an annual collection event for normal types of household hazardous waste (pdf). Residents of Florence, Leeds and Northampton may bring material from their homes to this event. Select Northampton small businesses may also participate with prior arrangement (see below). Preregistration is required for all participants and space is limited.
Important details to review before registering for the event:
- Water-based paint (e.g. latex paint) is not accepted at this event. Water-based paint disposal information (pdf)
- The City of Northampton will cover the disposal cost of up to 25 gallons or pounds of material for preregistered City households. Residential participants will be required to pay the disposal fee for any material in excess of that amount. The fee is quantity-based, but in most cases it will be between $20-$50. Cost estimation is not as simple as weighing the material. If you have a large quantity of material and would like a better understanding of your cost sharing portion, please email or call 413-587-1059.
- Some Northampton small businesses and institutions may participate via a prearranged, cost-sharing agreement. Please email or call 413-587-1059 for details.
- A small number of hazardous items are collected at one of our two City transfer stations on a year-round basis. Transfer station permit holders may drop off antifreeze, compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs, unmixed automotive oil and gasoline, and automotive, rechargeable, NiCad and button batteries at the Locust Street transfer station anytime during normal operating hours (pdf). Some fees (pdf) may apply.
- Year-round, City-sponsored collection programs also exist for needles and lancets and unwanted medication. Please note that sharps and medication are not collected at this event.
Two alternative options exist for those unable to attend (or wait for) the City’s next annual hazardous household waste (HHW) collection.
1) Participate in a neighboring community’s HHW event
Northampton residents willing to pay the full disposal cost of their material may participate in collection events held in specific neighboring communities (pdf). To register or learn more about the participation cost, please email or call 413-587-1059.
2) Bring your material to a commercial HHW collection site
Northeast Disposal Technologies (NEDT) operates a year-round, drop-off, HHW collection facility in Westfield, MA. For an additional fee, NEDT offers a pick-up service for many forms of hazardous waste.