Committee on Community Resources Study February 2016 - Study of Issues Relative to Local Economy
On March 3rd, 2016, the City Council Committee on Community Resources received a Committee Study Request (CSR) from Council President Dwight and Council Vice-President O'Donnell to "study issues relative to the local economy, with a focus on businesses and workers in downtown Northampton and downtown Florence, for the purpose of identifying practical recommendations, if any, that the City Council could pursue to strengthen the local economy." To view the request in its entirety click here.
To address this request, the Committee on Community Resources expects to compile current information from various sources within the city administration and elsewhere pertaining to the current conditions and trends. The committee also expects to hold public hearings to solicit testimony from citizens and stakeholders from all facets of Northampton's economy, including workers, business owners, property owners, and residents on the pressures they feel and the issues they experience. Following the data collection period, the committee will deliberate and decide if there are potential areas where the City Council could impact by legislation or other means to strengthen the local economy.
We encourage you to help shape the study by participating in a public hearing or submitting written testimony to the committee. The meeting dates and times for this committee are listed below. If you would like to provide testimony, but are unable to attend a committee meeting, please submit your information via e-mail to the City Council Administrative Assistant, Pamela L. Powers. You an also send information to: City Councilor Gina-Louise Sciarra, 210 Main Street, Room 16, Northampton MA 01060.
Meetings of this committee are recorded and available for viewing on YouTube. Links to meetings where this committee study request was discussed are provided below. Also below, you can find information and data that was presented to the committee for its consideration as part of this study. The information is categorized by the organization(s) who submitted the information, provided the data or suggested the resource.
Many thanks to the individuals, groups and organizations who have come to a meeting and provided information, testimony and pertinent resources to shape the study. What are your thoughts? We'd like to know.
Upcoming Committee Dates
- Tuesday, April 12, 2016 @ 5:30 pm in City Council Chambers
- Tuesday, May 3, 2016 @ 5:30 pm in City Council Chambers
- BUSINESS OWNER FORUM: Monday, May 16, 2016 @ 5:30 pm in City Council Chambers
- DOWNTOWN WORKER AND RESIDENTS FORUM: Monday, June 20, 2016 @ 5:30 pm in City Council Chambers
- DOWNTOWN WORKERS FORUM: Monday, June 27, 2016 @ 1:00 pm in City Council Chambers
- PROPERTY OWNERS, LEASING, ARTS & TOURISM FORUM: Monday, July 18, 2016 @ 5:30 pm in City Council Chambers
IN THE NEWS:
Daily Hampshire Gazette June 21, 2016
by Chris Lindahl, Wag theft concern airs at forum, council may take up ordinance
Masslive Article from April 20, 2016
by Laura Newberry, Northampton committee seeks testimony on downtown economy's health from business owners, workers
Daily Hampshire Gazette April 19, 2016
by Gina-Louise Sciarra, All voices need to understand Northampton's economy
Greater Northampton Chamber of Commerce:
Pioneer Valley Workers Center & UMass Labor Center:
- Gaming the System (Report by Sarah Jimenez & Lena Afidi)
- Letter to Daniel Wolf & John Scibak re: An Act to Prevent Wage Theft
- The Epidemic of Wage Theft in Residential Construction in MA (by T. Juravich, E. Abla, & J. Williams)
- Working Conditions in Northampton Restaurant Industry (Draft White Paper by C. Hammonds & PVWC The Final Report is
- Wage Theft Information & Example Legislation
- Presentation by C. Hammonds to Committee on Community Resources on March 21, 2016
Manny Gines of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters:
Terry Masterson, City of Northampton's Economic Development Director:
- Presentation of downtown economic indicators (launch of new city web page)
Meetings of the Committee on Community Resources are available for viewing using the following links
Watch July 18, 2016 Meeting on You Tube
Watch June 27, 2016 Meeting on You Tube
Watch June 20, 2016 Meeting on You Tube
Watch May 16, 2016 Meeting on You Tube
Watch April 12, 2016 Meeting on You Tube
Watch March 21, 2016 Meeting on You Tube
Watch March 8 2016 Meeting on You Tube
Watch February 22, 2016 Meeting on You Tube