- Senior Tax Work Off Program
Senior Tax Work Off Program
The Senior Citizen Tax Work Off Program is open to senior citizens (60 years of age and older) who own property in and pay real estate taxes to the City of Northampton. The program participant’s name must appear on the property deed. Participants must complete 91 hours of service in the program year, which runs from January 1 to October 31. A $1,000 property tax credit minus the required withholdings will be applied to the participant’s real estate tax bill in the following fiscal year, not current year’s property tax bill. Applications are available in November of each year.
Participants should work the required 91* hours of service to receive the total. Hours worked may not be shared with another family member. Each individual should fulfill the total hours of service obligation. However, the City of Northampton, based on need, may place the participant in more than one (1) job in order to fulfill the total hours.
*To receive the maximum $1,000 tax credit participants must work 91 hours. Working less than 91 hours results in a pro-rated tax credit based on the number of hours worked.
City of Northampton Eligibility Criteria
Household Size and TOTAL GROSS Annual Income
*To receive the maximum $1,000 tax credit, participants MUST work 91 hours. Working less than 91 hours results in a pro-rated tax credit based on the number of hours.
(Income guidelines FY16 State Median Income Guidelines)
- $11.00 per hour (MGL Ch.59 Section 5K)
- Participants will receive abatement for up to 91* hours of service. Any hours worked beyond the 91 hours cannot be accumulated for the Tax Work Off Program.
- Maximum amount of abatement is $1,000 per person per fiscal year.
- Money earned through the Tax Work Off Program is reportable income for federal taxes only. Participants will receive a W-2 form for the amount of money earned through the program.
- Be sixty (60) years of age or older as of January 1, 2018
- Only one (1) tax credit per family per calendar year is allowed
- All hours of work must be completed by the participant. No other person can work on the senior’s behalf to fulfill hours
- Own and occupy the property as his/her principal residence
- Be current with property tax payments
- Possess and identify employable skills
- Complete the application and provide necessary income verification
- Provide annual income eligibility verification for continuing participation in the program
- Complete a CORI check and/or provide references if required by the work site
- Be interviewed for job placement by Northampton Senior Services Director or designee
Job Placement for a Tax Credit Position
- Individuals will be chosen based on the best match between the applicants qualifications and the skill requirements of each job
- Applicants will be interviewed by the department supervisor of the position for which they have been placed. Participants must work on site.
- There will be a two (2) week probationary period to assess the appropriateness of the placement
- Program participants may not work for relatives who are City employees
- Individuals previously chosen for the program may make re-application in subsequent years. No applicant is guaranteed a position. A lottery system may be used if there are more applicants than available positions
- Time sheets will be filled out by the department supervisor each day that is worked. A final accounting of time worked will be submitted to the Senior Services Director or designee by the supervisor. Once verified, the Senior Services Director will submit to the Assessor for the abatement based on the number of hours worked.
- Application and Financial Information available to participants November 30, 2017
- Application and Financial Information for January 1, 2018 – October 31, 2018 Program year deadline by: December 18, 2017
- Participants qualifying for the Program will be notified by: January 8, 2018
- Senior participants will be interviewed by Linda Desmond, Senior Services and Senior Center Director, between January 9, 2018 – January 12, 2018 for job placement. Veteran’s will be interviewed by Steve Connor, Veteran’s Agent
- Job site supervisor will interview participant as soon after placement as possible
- Work may commence for participants after interviews have been completed and participant has been assigned. Worksite schedule will be determined by worksite supervisor and participant.
If you are applying, BOTH the Application and Eligibility Application MUST be filled out and submitted. All requested documentation must be submitted. Be advised that the Application may be submitted on-line or via US Postal Service while the Eligibility Application MUST be printed out and submitted with documentation via US Postal Service. Consideration cannot be made until the application and all financial information is submitted.
Forms can be obtained at the Assessor's Office at City Hall, 210 Main St., Northampton, MA 01060 and Northampton Senior Services and Senior Center, 67 Conz St., Northampton, MA 01060. *** Please note you must still submit the Eligibility Application Check List Application by postal mail.